I’ve recently found the need to create a user friendly filter for a multiple value column, rather than the users having to enter a case sensitive query. In the following example I used the dataview web part, though the trick is down to the XSLT filtering so its adaptable, here’s how:
- Add a text filter web part to the page containing your dataview web part
- Create a parameter within your dataview web part, setting the source to be none
- Connect the text filter to your dataview webpart, choosing Get Parameters from rather than get filter values from
- On the dataview web part, setup a filter as you usually would, however check the Add XSLT Fitlering box, then press the edit button
- Paste in the following code, replace @Companieso for the column you would like to filter, then replace $Companies with the parameter you created earlier.
contains(translate(@Companies0, 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz', 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'),translate($Companies, 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz', 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'))